Winter’s officially arrived. This means plummeting temperatures, steaming hot showers, harsh winds and central heating – all things that unfortunately don’t lend themselves to a soft, radiant complexion. Tightness, dryness, flaking, chapping, itchiness – we’ve all been there and, like you, pondered whether having soft skin (not just for a temporary amount of time) and a glow in the winter is even a possibility?
On a mission to answer this very question, here are our winter skincare tips and must-have products to keep you glowing in the blustering months to come…
First things first, you have to drink water.
- A common misconception is that dry skin will be solved by piling on creams and oils – the more, the better. But your skin – which, after all, is made up of 64% water – is, in fact, largely dictated by your hydration levels.
- Water not only plumps the skin but it encourages collagen production which ensures the cohesion, elasticity and regeneration of skin. It also helps to flush toxins out of the body that can lead to acne and eventually to scarring.
- Without adequate water levels, your skin will appear dull, and fine lines, wrinkles, scars and pores will appear exaggerated as the face essentially shrinks into its tightest position.
- Drink the recommended two litres of water a day (at the minimum). Along with SPF, it’s the single best thing you can do for your complexion.
When it comes to taking off your makeup and cleaning your face, avoid skin wipes at all costs. Not only are most full of nasty chemicals, they’re incredibly drying. Pick a kind face wash that’ll calm your skin, gently get rid of dirt and won’t leave your face with that horrible “stripped” feeling.
Here are some of our favourites…
1. Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser (dry/sensitive skin) £20 – As gentle as a cleansing milk, and as effective as soap, the Gentle Foaming Cleanser with Shea Butter is a face wash that provides the skin with ultimate comfort. With targeted ingredients for dry or sensitive skin, it works to preserve the skin’s natural moisture balance. The lightweight, gentle lather easily rinses off with water, and helps to neutralize the drying effects of hard water. Every day gentle skin care cleanser suitable for dry and sensitive skin.
2. ESPA Nourishing Cleansing Balm £40.00 – A deeply nourishing cleansing balm to leave skin feeling soft and smooth. Skin-softening Beeswax transforms with water into a rich cleansing cream, Rose Geranium gently calms and Rose Damascena helps tone and firm to leave skin feeling cleansed, comforted and beautifully supple. Suitable for all skin types, especially mature, dry or dehydrated.
3. ESPA Overnight Hydration Therapy £37 – An intensely hydrating overnight treatment mask to leave the complexion replenished and radiant. Chicory Root Extract helps to reinforce the skin’s natural barrier function, while Konjac Root and Hyaluronic Acid hydrate and smooth. A pure blend including Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang and Lavandin Essential Oils help calm a busy mind while Encapsulated Lavender gently releases its soothing and restful properties as your head hits the pillow. Suitable for all skin types.
4. Clarins Face Treatment Oil – Santal £34 – Santal Face Treatment Oil “”Dry Skin”” Rebalancing oils made from 100% pure plant extracts SKIN TYPE Dry Soothing relief for Dry or Extra-Dry skin. 100% pure plant extracts. Clarins essential oils of Sandalwood, Cardamom and Lavender tone, soothe, comfort and decongest skin that is dry, irritated or stressed. Hazelnut Oil softens, smoothes and reduces redness. Helps prevent moisture loss and the formation of fine lines.
We have some fantastic treatments available in Aura Spa to help you relax and unwind, whilst conditioning your skin. The 90 minute ESPA Advanced Radiance Facial is an intensively hydrating and radiance boosting facial using 3 masks to firm, tone and boost radiance to the dullest of skins. Skin analysis with our skin vision lamp gives us a clear look at your skin to enable us the recommend the best products for you. Rose quartz crystals sooth and calm the skin and a deep massage intensely relaxes. Appointments are available 7 days a week, Monday, Tuesday and Friday 9am – 8pm, Wednesday and Thursday 9am-10pm and Saturday/Sunday 10am-6pm. Come into the Spa reception and we will be happy to help you.
Call 01628 820 730 or email [email protected]